Themes for the Holidays can be really fun. Some of my favorites are:
1. Tree Trimming - This one´s close to my heart as it was the theme for my wedding shower. As a newlywed to be I had no ornaments - so everyone brought one for the wishing well. This works well for first time home owners too. Or you can flip it and just invite friends your friends over to help create a masterpiece with your own holiday supplies. String up a popcorn garland and paper chains.
2. Caroling is fun for all ages, have kids go online and download their favorite song verses. Make songbooks, Grab some lanterns and candles, and don your most outrageous ski hats. Hopefully your holiday cheer will spread and you will pick up some more revelers along the way - the more the merrier. Invite everyone back to enjoy a warm fire, hot cocoa and a raucous game of name that holiday tune.
3. Progressive Dinner Party - A variation on the Mexican celebration of Los Posadas, which celebrates Mary and Joseph´s journey to find a place for the evening. Use Luminaries to light the way to each neighbors home to enjoy some holiday treats. I like to think of it as a winter block party.
4. Cookie Swap - Think "Dinner and a Movie" from TNT - Invite over a couple of your favorite friends, put on your favortie holiday movie, pour some hot toddies and share the wealth of your guests baking prowess. Plus everone goes home with cookies.
5. Stocking Hop and Swap - We did this for my kids school, but I´m sure it´ll work for anyone. Guests are invited to come and dance the night away in their stocking feet. For admittance yu must bring one pair of clean socks which will be donated to a local shelter. The kids went overboard and collected over 500 pairs - a lot of fun which celebrates the true meaning of the holiday - giving.
6. Holiday Around the World:
From Yule Logs to Kwanza and Hanukkah to Los Posadas to Christams - Make your party into a global festival by highlighting fodds, drinks, decor and customs from each holiday celebration. Hand out passports for guests to have stamped at each destination.
Now one of the top on-line publishers in the world, LifeTips offers tips to millions of monthly visitors. Our mission mission is to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. Expert writers earn dough for what they know. And exclusive sponsors in each niche topic help us make-it-all happen.
|Jennifer Mathes, Ph.D.|