Hiring a Party Planning Professional
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Party Planning and other Party topics.
What should I consider when hiring a party planning professional?
If the party you are planning is very large or you are just lacking the time to plan a party at this point in your life, you might want to consider hiring a professional party planning business for help. These skilled experts know how to handle all facets of your upcoming party and can take the burden off your shoulders.
Here are some tips for hiring a party planning professional:
- Ask for referrals from friends, colleagues, caterers and local businesses. Set up appointments for consultations.
- Scope out the Better Business Bureau before hiring a party planning business to see if any complaints have been made against that business.
- Interview prospects. Ask how many events like yours the planner has done in the past. Ask for her creative ideas. Ask how she troubleshoots and handles mishaps.
- Consider his or her track record. Every event planner worth his or her weight has a portfolio.
- List the tasks you want taken off your shoulders.
- Discuss whether you will be billed by the event, by the hour or as a percentage of the total cost of the party. Talk about how willing you are to go over budget.
- If it would make you more comfortable, call references or drop by an event the professional you are considering is conducting in the near future to scope out the scene.
- Jot down your ideas, theme, color considerations, entertainment preferences, and anything you feel you want personalized for your professional.
- Once you hire someone, let go. If you micromanage that person, you might as well have saved the money and done it all yourself. Keep in mind that the purpose of your hired professional is to ease the burden on yourself.